12.18.2014

College stress and the goodness of God

All glory to God for the works He has performed through me these past few weeks.

Struggle after struggle, my head spinning in worry and anxious thoughts, my life was filled with stress and fear of what was to come. I was grateful for the best semester I've ever had in regards to the light amount of workload compared to usual, but my usual all A's were slowly diminishing. I had to keep reassuring myself that God is good, He is with me, and that everything would work out to His best for me, and that no matter what would happen, my identity rests in Him, not in the grades I receive or the amount of knowledge I possess, but I was still gripped by worry. It wasn't my high school classes that I was worried about, but my college classes. My A in U.S. History was around a 92 and was dropping more and more, but I wasn't nearly as worried about that class as I was about English Comp. I've always done great in English up until this semester, and while I still did well, there were enough B's and C's on papers and tests that set me up for a panic. Most of all, the majority of my grades weren't entered into the gradebook, so I had no idea what grade I would receive.

Every day, I prayed. Friends joined me in prayer as well. I knew that the only way I would receive an A, particularly in my English class based on the grades so far, would be an act by a God who can do the impossible.

Sure enough, He began answering prayers one by one. I received A's on my last two history papers. By the time I took my college finals, I reflected and meditated on the verses He revealed to me through His Word, calming me and reassuring me that He would take care of me:

When I said, "My foot is slipping", Your love, O LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, Your consolation brought joy to my soul. Psalm 94:18-19
Cast your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall...but as for me, I trust in You. Psalm 55:22, 23b

I knew He would stay with me as I faced those tests. His strength was all I needed, all I asked for. I shouldn't have been surprised when I found out I received a 97 on my history final, and a final 94% in the class! But the main worry, English Comp, was still on my mind. I kept trusting in Him.

Finally, my English professor entered in all of the grades almost a week after taking the final. She boosted one of my low essay grades 8 points. She gave me an unbelievable 100 on my last essay and several 100s for homework/participation. I received a B on my final grammar exam and a 97 on my final exam essay.

Somehow, in some way, I ended up with an A, about a 94, in my English class. With no doubt in my mind was that the work of a loving, caring God who has so much more power and strength than I could ever muster. I could never have done that on my own.

With this recent testimony, I say to you: whatever you are facing, don't give up. Ask God for strength, rely on His power, trust in Him and His timing. He is the God of the impossible. Put aside all worry and fear, and place your problems at His feet. He truly does care.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

I could never have succeeded without Him.
GOD. IS. GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you were inspired, encouraged, or would like to share any thoughts, please comment below!