1.24.2015

True Contentment

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13


   A world filled with a people of contentment, a people who find satisfaction in what they've already been gifted with and most of all, with the Savior, is a world that is only a fantasy. This world is searching for something more and more every day, something that they can find peace, satisfaction, and contentment, a way of "finding themselves", but it is all so temporary. Only in Jesus can we find satisfaction, true contentment. Only in Jesus can we truly find who we were made to be. No wonder so many people end up drowning in all their hurts as life goes on. Money, fame, drugs, relationships...it will only satisfy temporarily.

    This past week, I challenged myself to a 4 day social media fast. Oh, was it a challenge! I desperately needed it though. I realized my unhealthy addiction to social media and knew that the only way to regain focus on the right things was to take a break. Four days wasn't long enough to completely get rid of the addiction, and as I suffered from withdrawals the first two days, the last two days started to feel so good. No more wasting time, consistently checking for notifications. No more mindlessly scrolling through my news feeds on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. 

   It was during this fast that God spoke to me through His Word, Philippians 4. He revealed to me the true reasoning of why I needed to do this fast, and why I should do it again in the near future. 


Via Pinterest
   I learned that I need to be content in every situation, that I need to be able to say that "my God is truly enough". When I follow Him, live every part of my life for Him, I must learn to believe and really live out the belief that nothing else in this world really matters except Jesus. Jesus is all we need to be completely satisfied. When there is something I learn that I can't live without, something that I turn to for satisfaction, that I rest my identity in, that is a sign of addiction, of an idol. Social media is a major addiction that I needed, and still need, to take a break from. 

    What are you addicted to? Is there something that you are placing before Jesus, something that you are turning to for satisfaction? Do a fast. Learn to depend on Jesus rather than the addiction. He will provide His strength to overcome when you let Him take the wheel and learn to live for Him. Outside of these addictions, placing your trust in God will enable you to get through every struggle as He provides His strength. Don't muster to thrive by your own strength when you serve the God of the impossible. We can truly do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us when we learn to rely on His strength rather than our own. 

    That starts with learning to be content with just Him. Only Him. Placing all of our addictions at His feet and realizing that we will never be satisfied unless we run to Jesus. Let us find true contentment in knowing and serving a God who loves us so much that He died for us, a God so powerful that He rose from the grave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you were inspired, encouraged, or would like to share any thoughts, please comment below!