1.06.2015

Words




They've made me feel like a prisoner
They've made me feel set free
They've made me feel like a criminal
Made me feel like a king

They've lifted my heart
To places I'd never been
And they've dragged me down
Back to where I began

Words can build you up
Words can break you down
Start a fire in your heart or
Put it out

Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You
.............
I wanna speak Your love
Not just another noise
Oh, I wanna be Your light
I wanna be Your voice

"Words"/Hawk Nelson

 
   The power of words is limitless. Words can encourage, words can discourage. Words are the heartbeat of life. Without words, there wouldn't be a way to communicate, a way for relationships, love, or learning. I've been reading in Ephesians 4 over the past two days. God spoke to me about living in the 'new self', living differently from the rest of the world and in a way that pleases God, and as the passage continued, several verses were descriptions of ways that pleased God, ways that Christians should follow that make us different from the rest of the world. One of those ways is the way we speak. Reaching verse 29, I couldn't help but think about Hawk Nelson's song, "Words", and to question my own obedience in regards to God's calling to speak beneficially.

   Words are such a blessing. When we take away the blessing of it and use it for deceit, expression of anger, or any other way that discourages others, we misuse God's purpose for words. Yes, a lot of people (especially teen girls!) gossip. Many people cuss. Many people lie. Many people talk about others in ways that discourage and bring them down. But as His child, we aren't called to be like the world. We are called to be different. We are called to stay away from our former ways and use words carefully, words that encourage, build up, help others, and most of all, share His love.

    By no means do I always do this. I struggle. Sometimes, I slip up. Other times, my shyness kicks in and my words may be taken the wrong way. This week, I'm striving to use words that encourage others, words that set their hurts free, that make them "feel like a king". I'm praying to use words that speak life, truth, and bring others to Him.

   The question is: are your words building others up or tearing them down? Are your words helping and benefiting others?  We are called to speak life to others. We are destined to use our words for His glory, to speak with kindness, love, and gentleness. We were made to converse, but when we misuse His purposes for words, that's when hearts are broken, hurts are established, and relationships are torn down.

    This week, I'm hoping to work on being kinder to others and to use my words to encourage and build others up. The power of words is limitless. May we use its power to speak His love, shine His Light, and be His voice!

2 comments:

  1. This was so encouraging to me! I appreciate and agree with everything you expressed and love that song! My goal this year is to be more of a light to people and use my words to build up. :) You are a wonderful writer - Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! So happy God used my post to encourage you. Keep on shining His Light!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! If you were inspired, encouraged, or would like to share any thoughts, please comment below!